To Control Bleeding
- For 30 minutes, continue to use steady pressure biting on the gauze that has been placed over the extraction site.
- Remove the gauze and discard after 30 minutes.
- It is normal for some slight bleeding to continue for the next several hours. You may roll new moist gauze tightly and bite on it with pressure for an additional 20 minutes. If bleeding continues, bite on a wet teabag for 5 to 10 minute intervals.
To Control Swelling
- Apply a cold ice pack/bag to the side of the face where the surgery was performed for the first 24 hours. Apply 20 minutes on and the 20 minutes of. Repeat
- After 24 hours, it is beneficial to apply warm, moist heat to the face where the extraction occurred. Again, do this at intervals of 20 minutes on and 20 minutes of.
To Control Discomfort
- Please take 1st dose of prescribed medication before the numbness wears of. Take the remaining medication as directed.
- Keep your head slightly elevated when sleeping for the first 2 or 3 nights.
- 48 hours after the extraction, rinse mouth gently with warm salt water 3 to 4 times a day for the first week. Put ½ teaspoon salt in 1 cup Luke warm water, swish and gently spit.
- Apply warm moist heat to the side of the face where the extraction was performed (after 24 hours).
- Glyoxide antiseptic solution can be helpful to heal quicker. This can be purchased over the counter at any drug store.
- Do NOT eat hard solid foods for 24 hours.
- A soft diet will be more comfortable.
- Drink plenty of fluids.
Things to Avoid
- Avoid extreme hot foods and fluids for the next 24 hours.
- Do NOT rinse for the next 48 hours, as this may dislodge the clot and bleeding may restart.
- Do NOT spit for the next 24 hours.
- Do NOT smoke for at least 72 hours.
- Do NOT drink through a straw for 48 hours.
- Avoid heavy work, lifting, or play for 48 hours.
- Do NOT use Listerine or Scope for 72 hours.
If you have any serious or unusual problems following surgery, please call Dr. David @ 248.420.9530 or Dr. Jay @ 248.320.2739. or Dr Mat 610.659.4144
Dental Care of the Future, 33080 Garfeld Rd., Fraser, MI 48026 586.293.8750